There has been a church on this site since Saxon times.
The original building was probably built of wood, but this was succeeded by one of stone by the time of the Domesday survey in 1086 AD. It was probably built of ragstone and tufa, both of which occur locally, some of the stone being reused for the construction of the present building dating from the 13th & 14th centuries.
Much work was carried out during the 19th century, the north aisle being added in 1824, the south aisle in 1856, and the east wall of the chancel being rebuilt in 1883/4. The porch dates from the 15th century, and was moved to its present position after the addition of the south aisle.
St John The Baptist church has a website which contains interesting facts about the church: